Saturday 28 January 2012

Thinking Outside the Box: Build a Catapult

This week's Thinking Outside the Box challenge was to build a catapult.  My son got the Angry Birds board game for Christmas and the catapult that the game came with, inspired me.

I brought it to show the kids and we talked about catapults.  We also spent some time watching short videos on You Tube how to make different catapults.  I asked the kids to make a plan that included a picture and a list of materials that they would need.





I was amazed at how well they did.  These weekly Think challenges have really developed our students into independent thinkers and problem solvers.  Because there is not one right answer and there are so many ways to go, our kids are able to take risks and create things that seem way beyond their years.



I brought in marshmallows for them to use with their catapults and we designated a shooting area so that no one would get hit or hurt.








No comments:

Post a Comment